Willys-Overland originated in 1903 as part of Standard Wheel Company, a Terra Haute, IN, bicycle works. John Willys bought it in 1908 and renamed it Willys-Overland Motor Company in 1912. During World War II it began to manufacture jeeps for the military. Acquired by Henry J. Kaiser in 1953, it continued production into 1965, when both the product and the name were retired. The name was resurrected in 1975 for a wholesale parts operation.

This 1925 ad is for Willys-Overland’s new six-cylinder model.

Images: From the Collection of The Henry Ford. 1) Ladies Home Journal March 1925.

Close Window